Do you always forget something that you really need on your trip to the Junior Olympics? I guess I am not the only one.The one thing I never forget is a hat. It is the one thing I would put at the top of a well planned list of must have’s and do’s as I prepare for our family trip to the Junior Olympics.
Don”t leave home without these 5 TrackMom must haves as you travel to your favorite track meets this summer.
If you have seen me or know me I rarely go out to a meet with out some type of hat. I once had a very bad sunburn after a fun filled day out in the sun that cured me of not wearing a hat to workout in or spectate at a meet ever again.
TrackMom’s 5 Travel Tips
1. Pack it right for your airplane flight You may know where you are going your time of departure but one never knows when a delay might occur. for this reason alone pack the following items to feel secure in case of a delay on your way.
Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer for a quick wipe down of your area when you first sit down. Kill some of those yuck germs before you get comfy in your not so comfortable chair.
Always remind your athlete to pack their uniform(and for the rest of the family) a day of clothing and hygiene items just in case the luggage is lost
Pack (or purchase in the airport) healthy snacks like nuts fresh fruit ,yogurt that keep hungry away and also allow you to feel good when you arrive to your destination.
The air in planes lacks almost any humidity. That in turn can leave your defenses down. To combat dehydration, bring on the drinks like water,not sugary ones like soda or non carbonated soft drinks
Get up and move to reduce your risk of developing stiffness and blood clots in the legs. Try getting up every few hours, and do a few basic exercises in your chair to keep your circulation going.
2. Take along a good summer hat. The bigger the better. I understand not all can wear comfortably the big hats but they sure do protect well.I call it my person umbrella when I wear mine. The web site Coolbar.com sells hats that have built in sunscreen and are packable. See some interesting Hats here for inspiration from my Pinterest board “Haute Hats”
3. Don’t forget a good sunscreen for skin protection.Darker and lighter skin shades need protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
Lawrence Gibson, M.D., a dermatologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., offers the following guidance. “Wear protective clothing.This includes pants, shirts with long sleeves, and sunglasses. Top it off with a wide-brimmed hat. In addition, consider investing in special sun-protective clothing.Theoretically, the best sunscreen has the highest SPF number. Many dermatologists recommend using a product with an SPF of 30 or more. You can use sunscreen that comes in any form: spray, lotion, cream, wax stick or powder. It’s your choice and preference.
Lastly when you use sunscreen:
- Apply generous amounts of sunscreen to dry skin 30 minutes before you go outdoors.
- Use sunscreen on all skin surfaces that will be exposed to sun — especially your face, ears, hands, arms and lips. If you don’t have much hair on your head, apply sunscreen to the top of your head or wear a hat.
- Coat your skin well and rub sunscreen in thoroughly.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours — more often if you’re perspiring.
- Reapply sunscreen immediately after swimming.
- Remember that sand, water and snow reflect sunlight and make it even more important to use sunscreen.
- Since UVA rays penetrate glass and clouds, use sunscreen even when it’s cloudy or you’re indoors but in rooms with lots of windows.
4. Plan Fun Food Days yes, eat some fries, some ice cream and cake just not daily while on your ” Track-cation”. If you are at All-You-Can-Eat buffets, or restaurants while on vacation, help your family to balance choices some fun and many healthy. Plan and enforce the family to have vegetables and fruit every day and ensure there is protein at every meal. Make treat foods, a treat – even on your “Track-cation”
5. Remember your Chargers! Help your athletes to plan for the Track-Cation a head of time reminding them about bringing their iPod’s iPads,but most important the chargers they need to provide the juice to use
** The bonus tip Enjoy the Journey. This may be a trip you are taking for the first time or the sixth time,make it fun and embrace all that awaits you this Season Of Championship Travel**.