This is a great after practice after dinner dessert. You can serve this with frozen or fresh the frozen berries. This is a recipe from Real Simple . All types of berries are nutritious and low in calories. One cup of strawberries contains over 100 mg of vitamin C, almost as much as a cup of orange juice. We need vitamin C for immune system function and for strong connective tissue. Strawberries also add a bit of calcium, magnesium, folate and potassium and only 53 calories.
One cup of blueberries offers a smaller amount of vitamin C, minerals and phytochemicals for only 83 calories. The same amount of cranberries is similar, but with only 44 calories, 1 cup of raspberries offers vitamin C and potassium for 64 calories. This is one of Lauren’s and my favorites.
Berries and Coconut Cream
- 2 pounds mixed berries (such as blackberries and raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- In a large bowl, gently toss the berries, sugar, and lime juice.
- With an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream and cream of coconut until soft peaks form. Serve with the berries.
** I would chill the bowl before mixing the cream mixture**